Jul 1, 2015

Although I wasn’t feeling 100% this morning, the thigh strain was better so I decided to do a lap of Centennial Park. Two weeks ago I had run 13:51 and suffered a bit. Today I ran 13:41 and felt much more comfortable. I can’t quite explain the uneven splits, however. I mentally break the circuit up into four segments. Compared to last time, the first stage was very similar in time, the second was much faster, and the third was noticeably slower, although I felt I was going faster. The big positive was that I ran the last stage in 2:51, which is only four seconds slower than one of my best ever laps, which I ran in 1997 (a 12:57).

I have received the results of my recent medical – everything was pretty much fine. I was especially pleased with the 3.4 for my cholesterol ratio. A couple of years ago, after eating innumerable burgers during the US leg of my world run, that number was up around 6.5.

The photo below was taken as I reached the Utah border with Arizona back in late March 2012. Monument Valley lay directly ahead. You can even see some of the “monuments” underneath the sign.



On This Day


Jul 1, 2012

Distance today = 50.80 km; Total distance = 8625.81 km; Location = Stoddard, Wisconsin – 43 42.101′ N, 91 12.853′ W; Start time = 0858 Finish time = 1738



I’ve often said the mental side of this run is the harder part, but some days are just as hard physically. I am now carrying a thermometer, which I keep in the shade in my belt pouch, allowing me to know the real temperature where I’m running. Today it reached 98 F (37 C) and stayed there most of the afternoon. And I’m running in the direct sunshine (much hotter again), so you can see what I mean about the physical side being demanding. And the heat makes the roadkill smell even worse.

However, that said, I did have lots of positives today – more running along the Mississippi (the Great River Road was recently named the most scenically beautiful road in the US), including crossing the river to enter the state of Wisconsin. This happened at the town of La Crosse, where I noticed there had recently been a concert by the Steve Miller Band and Foreigner – two memorable bands of the 70s. I also spent part of the morning getting text updates from Dave in Australia about the first stage of the Tour de France.

And I was also joined by local TV station WKBT Channel 8, for some filming and an interview.

And then we met Diane and George for the first time. You may recall that Jenny, who was travelling with us from San Francisco to Phoenix, left us in mid May and visited the Grand Canyon on her way home. She met Diane there, who made her promise to get us to drop in on her in Stoddard, a beautiful town on the banks of the Mississippi. And that’s what we’re doing now. Diane and George met us in La Crosse with placards welcoming us to town, which was a real treat. We are staying at their fantastic home, right on the river, so I’d better be a good guest and not stay too long on this blog.


Jul 1, 2013

No internet on this day, as I was running in the middle of the Nullarbor on the second longest stretch of straight road in the world.