Jun 26, 2014

Today’s lap of Centennial Park was run in 14:33, a 12 second improvement on three weeks ago. Reasonable, but not as much as I was hoping.

I get a sense I’m capable of better, even at the moment. I just don’t seem to be able to convert it into fast times. Perhaps it’s fatigue. I’ve been pushing myself pretty hard for six weeks now. Then again, maybe age is catching up with me. I may have an easier week to see what effect that has.

I have just three more weeks till the Sutherland to Surf, then another three weeks till the City to Surf. I’ll clearly require some rest before and after each of those so the amount of hard training will be limited. No matter how I end up doing in those events, I know I will have given it my best.

Thanks to everyone who commented on yesterday’s story about my sit up situation. I’ll be taking all those comments on board. It’s been a few years, going back to well before I began my run around the world, since I’ve done any sit ups. I’ve clearly neglected that part of my fitness.


On This Day


Jun 26, 2012

Distance today = 50.04 km; Total distance = 8372.63 km; Location = St Paul, Minnesota – 44 55.198′ N, 93 10.451′ W; Start time = 0938, Finish time = 1758



Just a quick report tonight, as we are heading to dinner soon with some wonderful people we met in New Mexico, Sherla and Dave, who invited us to stay with them when we passed through St Paul. We are, naturally, very appreciative of their hospitality.

Today was much better than yesterday. The ankle was fine, other than a period in the middle of the day after I had to run on some uneven surfaces. The shoes were much more comfortable, and I think I’ve now adjusted to them.

I ran into the centre of Minneapolis, where I needed to visit the Apple Store. That worked out successfully, but I was annoyed my Garmin watch started giving me the finger (i.e. indicating the battery was getting low) much earlier than ever before. Perhaps the battery is deteriorating over time? There is no way to replace it either, other than to get a new watch.  Anyhow, there are two Garmin links today, as the battery did give out before I was finished for the day.

I crossed the Mississippi twice today – it’s a pretty majestic river. I’ll be seeing much more of it in days and weeks to come. I also passed 4,000 miles run in the US, and I did a radio interview with station WCCO this morning, so it was a busy day all round.


Jun 26, 2013 

(There was no actual blog post for this day, as I had no internet reception. So I’ve appended the following day’s report, which encapsulated June 26 as well)

Distance today = 52.05 km; Total distance = 22,206.57 km; Location = Fraser Range, WA (27 km east of) – 32 04.545’ S, 123 04.398′ E; Start time = 0755, Finish time = 1601



Sorry about yesterday’s missing blog, but that’s par for the course in these parts. We are currently on a 150 km strip of road with no phone reception and no internet, and have been completely out of contact since yesterday morning. I only just found out the State of Origin result, and that we have a new Prime Minister.

We’re staying tonight on a sheep station that provides camping and accommodation, and the manager has kindly allowed me to use the farm’s computer to do my work. Unfortunately, there may be other times in the future when you will find no daily report, but it is usually impossible for me to know where this might be ahead of time. The lack of phone reception also means the tracker is not updating at the moment.

The past two days have seen more of the same, with lots of trees and no signs of civilization along the road at all – no towns, no petrol stations, no shops, no houses. The roads are mind-numbingly straight for long stretches, and the traffic is relatively sparse – now down to about one vehicle every three minutes on average.

There was a minor drama today. Carmel has been doing food and drink drops along the course, and I pick these up as I reach the designated locations. This allows her to do various other things during the day, instead of just sitting by the side of the road. It has worked well so far. However, today I reached a spot, only to find that some animal had attacked both the food and drink. Carmel had poured the drink into a zip-lock plastic bag so that I didn’t have to carry an empty bottle when I’d finished it (I never discard any rubbish, other than in official garbage bins, and the plastic bag can be folded up and placed in my pouch). The animal – and I suspect it was a large bird – had clawed and gnawed through two plastic zip-locks, and had also ripped through the wrapper of a yoghurt-topped muesli bar and consumed the lot. I later found out that a similar thing had happened to a drink Carmel had left a few kilometres back. We might have to put hidden cameras out to catch the culprits.

About the only other excitement for the day was when a brand new Winnegabo drove past, the size of a bus, towing a matching trailer that was itself as big as a caravan. I can only imagine how much that set up cost.

As I said, there’s not much happening along the road.