May 25, 2015

Last night I was looking through my log book from last year and noticed a speed work session I did on the corresponding Monday in 2014 (on that occasion it was May 26). The session consisted of: 3 x my regular 230 metre hill, with just a jog down the hill in between each sprint; a 1 km jog to the start of my 400 metre course; 2 x 400 metres with just a slow 100 metre jog in between; a 500 metre jog, followed by; a 1 km sprint.

I decided to do the exact same session this morning, as it allows me to compare my fitness exactly one year on. So here are the results: 3 x hill (last year’s average 46.5, this year 42.8); 2 x 400 metre (last year’s average 74.8, this year 71.9); 1 km (last year 3:29, this year 3:15).

I was feeling OK after the final 1 km so decided to add a mile sprint to the session (after a 1 km jog to the start). I ran the mile in 5:25 (just for the record, my all time personal best for one mile, run in a proper track race, is 4:34, but that was in 1984).

The most pleasing part of today was that I ran good times for the 1 km and one mile, and quite comfortably, despite already being quite tired from the shorter earlier sprints. On Thursday I’m going to run Centennial Park again. Last year the best I could muster on that course was 14:00, just before the City to Surf. Let’s see how close I can get on Thursday.

Today I’m posting two photos from the world run. The first was taken on the Californian Big Sur coastal road, while the second was on the east coast of New Zealand’s South Island, just below Kaikoura. They are very similar, as was the run along the coast road near Stanwell Park, south of Sydney – all great roads on which to run.






On This Day


May 25, 2012

Distance today = 52.79 km; Total distance = 6751.28 km; Location = Wicksville, South Dakota (8km west of) – 44 05.775′ N, 102 41.320′ W; Start time = 0903, Finish time = 1654



The third day of rain in a row. That’s more than I’ve experienced in the past four and a half months. But it wasn’t heavy, and proved quite comfortable to run through. It was also the coldest day for quite a while, but I was suitably rugged up.

Not much to report, except that I passed 3,000 miles in the US. The tracker is showing me in the town of Wall, although my run position is some 42 km the west. I’m based in Wall for two nights, so there’ll be no tracker update tomorrow. There are also two Garmin links today, as the cold weather caused the watch battery to die earlier than normal.

I’d like to finish with a big thank you to Jay and Alicia at the Big Sky Lodge in Rapid City. Besides being very nice people and running a top-notch motel, they also provided the room free of charge. Thanks guys – another example of fantastic generosity.


May 25, 2013

Distance today = 37.65 km; Total distance = 21,094.84 km; Location = Melaka, Malaysia – 02 12.044′ N, 102 15.145′ E; Start time = 0946, Finish time = 1630


Another very difficult day in the humidity, although I fared better than yesterday – maybe I’m acclimatizing.

We awoke to a torrential equatorial thunderstorm, which caused a late start to the run. I’d then gone 6 km when I struck a boom gate. Although the map indicated a highway (which there was), it went through an army barracks, and I was turned back by two armed guards. I was pleased I’d only run 520 metres from the branch point I had to go back to (I’ve deducted the 1.04 km from the Garmin total), but the worst thing was I had to go the long way around. For a variety of reasons, this meant I only made it to the city of Melaka (historically spelt Malacca), a famous colonial trading post in centuries past.

Half way through the day, Roger and Christine Sharp joined me on the road. They’d driven down from KL. Roger ran 7.5 km with me, then Chris took over and ran the remaining 6 km to the hotel. Somehow, courtesy of Roger and Christine, we have found ourselves in the Presidential Suite. Many thanks guys, but you haven’t heard the last of it yet. BTW, for those who don’t know, Roger runs Asia Pacific Digital, the parent company of my generous sponsor, Next Digital.

Both Carmel and I had interesting experiences on the road today. Earlier, I had come across a bunch of monkeys playing on the side of the road. They scattered when they saw me. I then almost stumbled into a Komodo dragon. It was more than two metres long, looked just like a huge goanna, and had an animal in its mouth – I think it was a baby monkey. It scurried down into a large culvert under the road.

A little later, Carmel went into what she thought was a market. It turned out to be a Malaysian wedding reception under a marquis. She was immediately taken to meet the bride and groom and had her photo taken with them, then taken to meet other guests, was asked to sit down and have the wedding meal with them, and finally left with the same gift that all the official guests received. What an amazing experience – beats running into monkeys and giant lizards.

I am resigned to each day in Malaysia being very tough for running, but I’ll get through it. Hopefully I’ll acclimatize a bit more. At least the chafing was fine today, as yesterday’s experience appears to have toughened up the skin.