May 26, 2014

This morning’s session reminded me of just how hard speed work can be. It didn’t take long for my legs to start feeling like jelly.

I expanded on last Monday’s session, this time running multiple repeats of the hills and the 400 metres. I began with 3 x 260 metre hill, averaging 46.5 seconds. Each was slower than the single 45.3 I ran last week, but that’s how it is when you do multiples.

I then did 2 x 400 metres, averaging 74.8 seconds, with just a slow 100 metres jog in between. This wasn’t bad compared to the single 74.0 from last week. I then finished with 1 km in 3:29; a little slower than last week, but I’d already worked a lot harder by this time.

It was tough and I feel very tired now. Four consecutive 1 am bed times (watching the Giro d’Italia) hasn’t helped either. But it’s sessions like this, when you can feel your quads turning to jelly, that produce the best results.

For my time trial this Thursday I think I’ll do a flat 5 km on the road. I have an old course that will work well. Given my 10:59 for 3 km last week, I’d be disappointed if I can’t go under 20 minutes for 5 km, and happy if I get close to 19 minutes.


On This Day


May 26, 2012

Distance today = 52.61 km; Total distance = 6803.89 km; Location = Wall, South Dakota (10 km east of) – 43 56.194′ N, 102 09.174′ W; Start time = 0915, Finish time = 1700


What a horrible day for running!!! It was cold and foggy all day long, and the breeze was against me. Even though it wasn’t raining, there was so much moisture in the fog that I ended up soaked anyway. It’s not nice when you have a cold breeze blowing on wet clothes for hours on end.

But I survived, and managed 52.6 km. It was also the first day of running below 1,000 metres in altitude since March 16.

However, another downside to the day was all the running I had to do on the I-90 Freeway. Running on a freeway means keeping way over on the shoulder, and the shoulders here in South Dakota have a pretty severe camber. Running the same camber all day long is the quickest way to get injured. I’m fine so far, but it has made me a bit asymmetrically sore.

I passed though the town of Wall (which is where the tracker is showing me, although my true location is 10 km further to the east) around 3 pm. For about 50 km leading up to Wall there are giant billboards – about 50 of them – advertising Wall Drug. It turns out to be a large tourist shop – methinks they try too hard.

Tomorrow I press on through the Badlands.


May 26, 2013

Distance today = 42.89 km; Total distance = 21,137.73 km; Location = Muar, Malaysia – 02 02.966′ N, 102 34.196′ E; Start time = 0952, Finish time = 1655


I must be acclimatizing somewhat, as today was certainly better than the previous couple. It was still incredibly humid, but I seemed to cope better today.

I am also doing the little things better, like buying drinks from roadside vendors, which come with ice, and putting the ice under my cap when I’ve finished the drink. I have also run in longer shorts (actually board shorts) the past two days, as they help with the chafing.

It was also a day in which I passed the 500 marathon mark of the world run. That’s a big milestone in itself.

The run itself was quite flat, and close to the coast. The body of water is known as the Straits of Malacca, once a feared pirate region. Tonight we’re in Muar, another old sea trading post from the colonial era.

Once again, I’d like to thank Roger and Christine for running with me yesterday, and for their generosity during the evening. By the way, Chris is now the first woman to have run with me on two separate occasions – the first being Day 6, on January 5 last year.

Carmel is having a lot of trouble with Picasa, and it looks like there’ll be no photos again tonight. She is very frustrated.

PS Somehow, the GPS in my Garmin was switched off at the start today, so the first 1.4 km has been added in manually.