May 5, 2017

My training for the Big Red Run continues to go well. I’m finding I can run daily at a faster pace than I’ve been used to for years. And I’m throwing in some very fast sections too. Yesterday I ran a kilometre in 3:33. In general, I’m running under 5:30 per km on average.

For those who missed the ABC TV story I mentioned on Wednesday, here is a link to the clip. The story actually mentioned my run around the world, which I wasn’t expecting: http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the-business/2017-05-03/riding-a-new-wave-of-renewable-energy/8494908

Here’s another photo from Colorado during the world run. As you can see, I’m running in a T-shirt, despite the snow on the surrounding mountains. It actually wasn’t cold at all down in the valley.



On This Day


May 5, 2012

Distance today = 44.15 km; Total distance = 6050.89 km; Location = Norfolk, Colorado (7 km south of) – 40 50.487′ N, 104 58.038′ W; Start time = 1019, Finish time = 1644


I was going to run a bit further today, but the girls called during the afternoon to say that the TV and radio channels were being interrupted by announcements of a severe weather warning. There were thunderstorms in the area and the prediction was for large hailstones and lightning. They were rightfully concerned for me being out on the road, so we agreed they’d come and pick me up early.

At least I still got a decent day of running in, and am now located just south of the Colorado/Wyoming border. I again got to run through nice farming country, with lots of cattle, horses, sheep, and pigs to be seen along the way.

It was hot again, with temps around 30 C. Yesterday was 31 C.  These are far above average for this time of year. In fact, yesterday’s 31 was the hottest temperature ever recorded in Denver for early May. However, I haven’t been uncomfortable at all. The humidity is very low, thankfully.

Last night we went for dinner in Fort Collins, on a very balmy Friday evening. We found a very “buzzy” little bar that had 100 beers on tap, and a predominantly university crowd. As we sat there outside, facing the street, we witnessed an amazing scene. A freight train, about a mile long and carrying molten sulphur, came up the middle of the leafy suburban street. I had thought the tracks were for a tram, but it was a full-blown train, not five metres from us. I’m not talking about train tracks crossing the road – these tracks were right up the middle of one of the main streets of this large town. The train had to blow its horn incessantly each time it passed a cross street, which was every hundred metres or so. Quite a sight – and sound!


May 5, 2013

Distance today = 42.13 km; Total distance = 20,465.63 km; Location = Sofia, Bulgaria – 42 40.741′ N, 23 18.734′ E; Start time = 0913, Finish time = 1617


Today was mostly good, although the heat and uneven surfaces got to me a bit near the end.

Carmel, along with Deb and Barry, dropped me at my starting point at Dragoman, and I was on my way. I passed Slivnitsa at the 10 km mark, where a monument and plaque informed me this was where the Battle of Slivnitsa took place during the Serbo-Bulgarian War of 1885. Sadly, many young men lost their lives in that very spot. These are the pieces of history you could only ever find out about on a world run.

One thing that has been reinforced to me is that time moves on. As I mentioned the other day, the camping ground in Nis, scene of the 1986 fancy dress party, is now gone. As I crossed the border yesterday, I passed a spot where, in 1986, while we waited in an incredibly long line to be processed, PT and I kept the large crowd amused with our acrobatic antics with a Frisbee. This location now has a building on it. And 12 km on the Bulgarian side of the border, there was a restaurant with an outdoor verandah where we had our last meal in Bulgaria in 1986. I passed this too – the restaurant is now in ruins. Time marches on, and not always for the best.

The road was nice and smooth early on, but as the traffic picked up nearer to Sofia, I had to do more and more running on the shoulder or sidewalks, all of which were very uneven. This is always tough, especially with a sore heel. But I managed to get through a short day, with an early finish.

I now have just 560 km to Istanbul. I am certainly looking forward to getting there, and having my first rest in four months.